Ace Karate Forum

www.genjitsu.co.uk
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Issyun no shindo
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:13 pm 

Just to go back to timing. Peter also does a good demonstration of how a slow punch can hit eaily if the person is confused/distracted/engaged. He does the same technique with the elbow as well which he disguised by pretending to walk off past the target aand then as you walk you have primed the hip. It is lethal and even easier to do than the punch.

Elmar - the hand dangling thing heps with the relaxation, is that how you found it?

Makato - lots of the karate books taalk about rotating around the spine and therefore there would be a back action if this were done, or am I confused about your point?

Few men are born brave; many become so through training and force of discipline - Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:47 pm 

Ace Ventura wrote:
Elmar - the hand dangling thing heps with the relaxation, is that how you found it?

Actually, I was shown it in Shigeru Kimura's dojo by his uchi-deshi. So I didn't discover it, I was taught it by example.

side note: you from the "S'ath" Ace? "heps" is the way some folk say "helps" 'round heah (here) :D

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:22 am 

Actually i am in the UK! I am blaming it on my new keyboard that I can't type on propeerlly!

Few men are born brave; many become so through training and force of discipline - Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:50 am 

There's not much good internet footage of Kawasoe demonstrating gyaku tsuki . We did manage to unearth some old VCR tapes from 2003 and extracted a couple of digital clips from them. The gyaku tsuki segment can be seen here:
Link.

It seems quite different from Peter Consterdine's technique, more classical JKA as might be expected. He demonstrates remarkably fast hip rotation which is virtually complete before the shoulders follow suggesting generation of a lot of "elastic" potential energy in the muscle / tendon linkage to the shoulders. Most of the hip rotation is done with the rear leg slightly bent and then the final impetus is generated by a very rapid straightening of the rear leg.

The only real sign of "vibration" is due to the "traditional" kime at the end of the technique where he locks everything solid and sort of reverberates slightly. It does look a powerful technique. It reminds me somewhat of the gyaku tsuki in Ten no Kata which is done from Fudo dachi rather than Zenkutsu dachi and feels as if it generates more power.

Geof