Ace Karate Forum

www.genjitsu.co.uk
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:55 pm 

We were practicing and talking about jodan furi-ken the other week and it occured to me that this wasn't a technique that was taught by any of my sensei in the early years of my training.

For those not familiar with the term, "furi" in this context means "swinging" and is sometimes used to describe the four age tzuki found in Empi. However what we were practising is more like a mawashi enpi but leading with the fist rather than the elbow. The forearm is parallel to ground with the back of fist upmost as you strike the side of the jaw. This will turn the head exposing the rear joint of the jaw which acts as a target for the elbow as you follow through. It doesn't matter if your aim is a little off, as there are plenty other vulnerable targets in the area (throat and neck) for the elbow. The strike is powered by hip-twist/core and is to my mind a sophisticated and close quarter version of the haymaker, beloved of cowboy bar-fights. I've seen a similar technique in full contact Muay Thai kickboxing. It's not easy to get the double technique working correctly, but a partner with a pair of pads held together at the right angle can help. You can try it on a bag but tend to get friction burns since you have to use a grazing approach for the first part of the technique. It seems like a technique that could be useful (if dangerous) in a practical self-defence situation. I'm just not sure why it's not part of the regular shotokan curriculum apart from the fact that you can't use it in competition ;). I suppose the sokumen enpi uchi in tekki shodan etc could symbolise this technique although the simplistic interpretation is that you are just pulling someone on to an elbow strike and it's performed at chudan level.

Does anyone else have other interesting and potentially useful techniques that are not normally included in the standard fare?