Ace Karate Forum

www.genjitsu.co.uk
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Born Brave?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:34 am 

Quote:
Few men are born brave; many become so through training and force of discipline - Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Stolen from Andi.

There is lots of truth there and maybe one thing I would say about free sparring in the dojo. Doing regular free sparring is the key to making sparring fun because it desensitizes you to having someone stalk you and try to hit you.

I think Renatus had it right: danger is basically percieved because of the unknown factor. Once you know all the risks and know how to control for them, just about anything can feel "safe and normal".

Any one want to argue the point?

(BTW: I have met people who are naturally brave; stupidest young men I ever met and many of them are dead now. There are lots of dead heroes in grave yards)

Post subject: Re: Born Brave?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:05 am 

I agree with you Bryce.

I suppose we need to decide what brave really means and in what circumstances stuff is brave compared to foolish.

I think brave is probably a word that is overused nowerdays.

Few men are born brave; many become so through training and force of discipline - Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:07 pm 

Quote:
I suppose we need to decide what brave really means

Yes.

I was just thinking about that the other day. Two examples came to mind that many people would not think of as "brave".

The day my daughter died I had one contact among all her friends back home in Regina (where she grew up). The kid was one of my old karate students and he was all of 19. A relatively young 19 at that. I asked that kid to "go point" and make sure everyone that needed to be contacted about her death was contacted ASAP. That included my daughter's fiancee (he had planned to ask, just never got the chance). That boy, Dalton< stepped up to the plate and hit a homer. He operated magnificently under terrible preassure (he had been very close to my daughter).

Is that bravery?

Then there is the man-boy that was the last person to see my daughter alive and who was the best witness to what happened. He has yet to speak to me about her death and he quit his job and left town less than two weeks after her death. It is no wonder I still consider him suspect in her death. A friend of mine tried to reassure me it was a case of "weak character" versus "bad character".

Is his failure to tell me about my girl's last moments a form of cowardice?

Jesus the crap I think about these days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:44 am 

There's a word in Yiddish that describes both what your first example is and what the second one is not- "mensch". Some people instinctively know what to do or how to step up in awful situations. Others may avoid doing anything out of a fear that they'll say or do something wrong. It's natural to really appreciate the former, and can be pretty hard to not feel negatively towards the latter.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:09 am 

That is a good example Bryce, is it bravery? A lot more brave than a manager making a 'brave' substitution in sport or a singer making a 'brave' song choice.
I am even more confused what bravery is now.

Is it doing something to help others even though you may know the cost to yourself will be high?

As for the second geezer, I'd feel the same as you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:26 pm 

i was told by a great uncle that bravery was understanding the risks involved and realising that it was necesary so doing it anyway. he was a sergeant in the sbs in the war so he understood what he was talking about. he also said the worst thing in the world was an officer in pursuit of a medal!