Ace Karate Forum

www.genjitsu.co.uk
It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 8:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tabata to start?
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:19 pm 

I expect most of the denizens of the Ace Karate Forum have had a go at some Tabata training. I wanted to know whether anyone has ever done this at the start of session?

I'm thinking particularly here of the point raised by Iain Abernethy (and others) that being tired has a very similar effect on the body to being frightened, and that bunkai training following a heavy workout would not only develop mental fortitude but also train techniques under the stress in which they are designed to be used.

I can see some drawbacks. A light but good quality warm up would be needed and i suspect the speed with which students could take on and remember new information and techniques for the rest of session would drop.

Has anyone thought about this or given it a go?

Post subject: Re: Tabata to start?
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:42 am 

There is no reason not to, but I don't like to do Tabatas unless I am pretty warmed up. (I generally do a 5 minute (rather than a 4 min) Tabata set of burpees 3 days a week, after my non-karate workouts.) That said, I usually do 20 burpees as I am warming up on my own before class, and then have the class do 20 ( or on rare occasions 30) burpees as part of the class warm-up. That's not even close to a full Tabata, and most are huffing and puffing.

In general, I think that class time should be spent on karate, and not calisthenics or other exercises. It's the student's responsibility to spend time on physical conditioning.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:17 am 

Tabatas can be pretty intense. However, you could make it karate oriented. Sit in kiba dachi and punch as fast as you can during the work intervals is a thought. The point being to do something that can be done at a high intensity without worrying about sacrificing form too much.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:02 am 

I think you need to be careful. If you are trying to teach something new then this is a no no. If you are trying to stress test known techniques it could be a valid plan.

Some may say you are pretty mad suggesting it as you will be in the class that tries it out!

As for karate tabata

We do low kicks roundhouse kicks to bag (1 left, switch sides, 2 right, 3 left etc etc) or just punching on focus mitts or the great 2 punches on the mits, chest to floor, 4 punches, chest to floor 6 punches.......... and so on. Now that really hurts!

There are so many wonderful ways to make ourselves feel rather bad :lol:

Few men are born brave; many become so through training and force of discipline - Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus